:: History of Gundlupet Taluk ::
It is located to the west of Chamarajanagar Taluk. Bordering to this
taluk to south are Kerala State and Tamil Nadu State. To the North is Nanjangud Taluk of Mysore District. To the
East is Chamarajanagar Taluk. To the West of this Taluk is HD Kote Taluk of Mysore District. This Taluk consists of
4(four) Hobli's i.e Kasaba, Hangala, Begur and Terakanambi.
Gundlupet Town is the Taluk Head Quarter's. Historical name of the
Gundlupet Town was Vijaypura. This was ruled by the Terkanambi Urs family for long time. It is located on the banks
of Gundlu River and situated on the Mysore-Udhagamandalam(Ooty) National Highway. It is at a distance of 61 Kms to
the south of Mysore City. From Chamarajanagar Town it is at a distance of 34 Kms to the West. From the Gundlupet, a
road to Sultan Batheri of Kerala State goes or leads via West of the Town and from there to Cannore Town of Kerala
State.The road to the North West leads to HD Kote taluk. The taluks latitude to the North is 11 degress and 49 minutes
and longitude to the ease is 76 degree 45 minutes. Gundlupet Taluk has an extent of 1406.2 Sq.Kms and 162 Villages
out of which 144 Villages are Habitated, 15 are un-inhabited. According to 1991 census, the population of Taluk was
1,95760 and the density of the population is 739 per sq.km.
Chikkadevaraja Wodeyar(1674) of Wodeyar dynasty was the person
responsible for the growth of the taluk. Chikkadevaraja Wodeyar spent his childhood in small fort located in Hangala
Village in confinement. When his father passed away when he he was in childhood, he performed the last rites of his
father on the banks of Gundlu River near Vijayapura, and returned back to his jail cell. Later after some years he built
a Agrahara near where his father was cremated, and expanded the Vijayapura fort and reinforced it and also built
a temple for Paravasudeva on the grave of his father.From that day the town has come to be known by the name
Gundlupet. but now the fort or the Agahara have ceased to exit. But some 224 Artifacts dating back to history have
been found depicting the history of Taluk.
Rivers, Hillocks and Forest
Major river of the taluk is Gundlu River. It is also known by the name
Koundinya. The birth place of this river is Gopalaswamy Hills. It flows from south to west and joins the Kapila river
at Nanjangud. To the south of the taluk one more river by name Mayar also flows. This also serves as the border
demarcating karnataka state and tamilnadu state. This taluk has many ponds and tanks majo ones ones are Kodahalli
Kere, Nalloor Amani Kere, Koothanur Kere, Mallaiahanapura Kere, Gundlupet Kere, Annur Kere. These tanks get filled
only whn seasonal rains fall. This taluk is starved or parched for water. Kodahalli and Hakkalapura vilages have small
irrigation channels built.
The most prominent hillock of the taluk is Himavad Gopala Swamy Hill.
It lies 16 Kms south west of Gundlupet town. It has an height of 1446 Mts. At a distance of 12 Kms from Gundlupet
lies the Parvathi Hill. It is also known by the name Skandagiri or Kandagala. Karasthala Nagalingana Hill is at a distance
of 10 Kms from Gundlupet near Manchanahalli village. Hulligana Murudi is situated in Terekanambi Hobli and is
at a distance of 7 Kms from Terekanambi. to the east lies the Sri Rama temple. The temples at Begur and Hirikati are
This taluk has a forest area of 44,859 Hectares. To the south lies the
Bandipur forest with an area of 60 Sq.Kms. This forest is famous for its sandalwood tress , Indian Teak, Honne,
Nandi, Jack fruit , Sampige trees. The Gopalaswamy hill is also thick forest area within the percincts of Bandipura
with trees like Nerale, Suragi, SuraHonne, Sampige and treasure chest of various Ayurvedic medicinal plants.
Manganese Garnet, Danite, Amphibolite, Cardied, White Stone,
Manganese Quartz, Sagwandiet, Gabro, Dyorite, Dollarite, Corrundum, Kankar etc. are some of the minerals
available in this Taluk.
Rain & Crop
This taluk receives very little rainfall i.e an average of 693 mm of
rainfall per year. The soil is of type sandmix jowar, Ragi, Castor Seeds etc. are the main crops. Wherever there
is irrigation facility i.e water tanks or borewells sugarcane and paddy are grown.
Art & Folklore
This taluk has bountiful Folklore Art. The Rural women Folk have
composed many a songs , stories, Threepadhis, Idioms and Phrases which they use when they are at work in their
farm land to keep themselves entertained and also remember the Gods of the Taluk.
Places of Tourist Interest
Terakanambi, it is 11Kms. East of Gundlupet. It is also Hobli Head quarters.
It is also known by other names Thrikadambapura,Thirakanambi, Thirakanambay. This place came to be known as
Terakanambi because of three Border stones indicating the border of Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Karnataka in this place
hence it was called as Thrikadambapura later known as Terakanambi. The Kadambi family ruled this area. It was first
ruled by the Gangas, then by the Cholas, then by the Hoyasalas.
It is 2.4 Kms to the North west of Terakanambi. Here a big temple for
Thrikadambeshwara diety or God has been built. A 12.2 Mtr of height stone "Deepasthamba" is the main attraction
and mantap has been built around it. The main temple consist of Garba Gudi and Sukanasi. To the South-East of
Garba Gudi a small mandir for sapthamathruka has been built. To the North of Navaranga Subramanya diety in
mayuraashna can be seen. To the South of Navaranga lies the Ganesha idol. To the South-West lies the Kalayana
mantap. The Garba Gudi and Sukanasi was built in the times of Hoyasala Rulers. The Mahadwara at the East of the
temple was built during the rule of Vijaynagara Empire. It is believed that the temple was built in the period
It lies 6.5Kms to the South of Terakanambi. It is famous for
Venkataramaswamy temple. It is also known by another name Seshadri. It was built by Sahukar Dasakeshava
Setty of Terakanambi in 1629. The Vykunta Narayana swamy temple and the Ammanavara temple was built in 1629.
The Patalamantapa built in 1678. Dodda Muddamma wife Chikka Devaraja wodeyar built a fort in the year 1696 on
It is at a distance of 4.8 Kms West of Begur Hobli. Here Veerakallu of
10th century was found depicting the heroics of Kollianna. Here Rameshwara, Venugopala, Chandramouleshwara
and Ganesha Temple are famous ones . Out of these temples Venugopala Swamy temple is the biggest. The
temple has a big stone mahadwara, mukamantap and Navaranga. To the South and North of the temple Sukanasi
and Garba Gudi can be found respectively. To the South we can find deity in Padmaashna, to the left we can find
the sculpture of Ramanuja and Nammalva.
It is at a distance of 8 kms South of Gundlupet. The main temple
of Vardharajaswamy consists of the Garba Gudi,Sukanasi, Navaranga and Chikka Mantapa. The Idol of the Janardhana
lord also called as Vardharaja is the presiding deity of the temple. The third Narashima Ballala King has got all his rulings
engraved on the temple side walls to the North of the Sukanasi. It is believed that the main Janardhana deity was
installed during the period of Ballala King. Inside the Navaranga to the Southern side one can find the Namalvara Idol
in the midst of these idols one can find the Madhava idol. The Madhava idol has been carved holding a ball of butter
in the right hand in an elegant manner. It is very similar to the Madhava Idol at Banavasi Madhukeshvara temple in
Uttar Kannada District.
It is at a distance of 16 Kms South of Gundlupet. It is at a height of 1446
Mts above mean Sea Level . The area of Hill is 25 Kms. The temple is at the distance of 5 Kms from the base of the
hill. It is also known by other names such as Kamalachala, Kanjagiri , Goverdhanagiri. From a distance it looks like it is
covered by snow always. Hence the name Himavadh Gopalaswamy Hil. The 1504 Nanjangud Gazettier mentions this
place as Moodanakote. The tradition says that the Agatsya saint came here to pray to god and make this place a
spiritual centre. while praying when the God Gopalaswamy appeared in front of the saint, the saint asked the god to
settle in the hills itself. For this the God Gopalaswamy agreed and settled with his wives Rukmini and Sathyabama. The
Saint Koundinya is known to have been here. From this saint, Koundinya river is said to have been born in this hill.